when the going gets tough...

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Iron jawed angels

This movie based on nothing but sheer history today, gives me a reason to live. What do I bawl my eyes out for? I stood up to my husband, put my foot down, breaking loose because I found out he wasn’t exactly the person I had perceived him to be? A few suitcases of clothes gone to waste, some matching shoes to go with them and jewels for the big day. And I have the audacity to call myself in trouble? I declare I’m the one in pain, betrayed by the man I loved to bits and that life seems meaning less, bull shit!
Alice Paul, physically hurt, force fed through her hunger strike.
218 women in jail for obstructing traffic while they stood a quiet protest at the pavement outside the white house for the women sufferings and a demand for women votes in the United States.
The Senator’s wife, Emily Layton survives hunger strike, toughest possible situations in jail and custody of her two daughters by her democrat husband who does not approve of her siding with the Suffragists.
They accomplished what they set out for. They lived for their cause and were willing to die for it.
“Suffering women are worse than anti-suffragists” said Alice Paul. Today, as I raise my voice against something I feel is not fair to me and I don’t feel like succumbing to it, I side with the suffragists. I stand next to Alice Paul, Lucy Burns and those 30 women that took it to their heart and soul to win the right for women to vote. To be part and parcel of the nation, not just for healing wounds and rolling out bandages but for taking pleasure in being a citizen of the United States. To ensure the comprehensive adaptation of democracy irrespective of any gender prejudice.
All leading to the liberation and empowerment of the young girl, who grows up learning to take care of all around her but herself. Making her realize, she has to take care of herself too. She deserves a place she likes in the play pen, she’s worthy of the front seat she wants at school, she ought to have the right to study what she wishes and be who she wants to be one day. She, earns a position befitting a man in this vicious gentleman’s world. She is human too.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home